Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Girl defined

Girl defined, by Kristen Clark and Bethany Baird. Well. I'm not sure how to write this review. I haven't ever come across a book I was so opposed to. This book in my opinion is nothing more than a traditional conservative view of women that plaques the church. I'm really not a fan of girl defined ministries, I find their views of women rooted in tradition rather than revelation from God. As much as they feel their view on women is a biblical one it seems that they've forgotten of all the women in the Bible rebelled against the social "norm" for women. For example: Mary carrying Jesus despite the great risk to her reputation and life, Rahab who hid spies and again risked her life! Dorcas who was called a disciple in acts going against the social norm for the times! I could go on and on, but rather the vast majority of "femininity" books want to focus on modesty and how to help men. I'm sorry but the idea that women should fit into this idea of womenhood is not scriptural and especially damaging to those who don't fit the mold. I wouldn't recommend this book unless the goal is oppressing women in the church more than they already are.  

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment